Sunday 14 January 2018

Gifts that comes with Dyslexia




I had sought experiences from people on how they feel about dyslexia and their experience of it as a gift.

Now many people are waiting to understand, how it can be a gift!



This article to explain on how a dyslexic brain works and what are the traits that people can possess with such thinking style. Please share your feedback and your thoughts.

If you are a dyslexic or parent or a friend of a dyslexic you will relate with qualities listed below.

Gifts that come along with pains of being a Dyslexic thinker are associated with their versatile ability to-
  •  Perceive their thoughts as reality and alter them at will.
  •  They can have multisensory, 3 dimensional thinking style; mostly think in images with highly vivid imagination.
  • High Emotional Quotient
  • Highly intuitive and insightful
Verbal Thinking - Thoughts as self speech
Non Verbal Thinking - Thoughts are multi dimensional, including all senses 


These qualities bestow them with following abilities-
- One who can view things in broader perspective 
- Out of the box solution providers 
- Can see correlation in things which people generally ignore.
- Inventor 
- Innovator 
- Good at design 
- Good at mechanics 
- Good at science and engineering 
- Individuals with very high emotional intelligence 
- Good at interpersonal skills as they have great empathy too
- Highly imaginative, so can excel in creative field.
- Good at dramatics 
and many more such amazing qualities…

We have many examples to corroborate this. Below are some high achievers in their fields and proud dyslexics-

Richard Branson- A billionaire, founder of Virgin group. He says "Once freed from archaic schooling practices and preconceptions, my mind opened up. Out in the real world, my dyslexia became my massive advantage: it helped me to think creatively and laterally, and see solutions where others saw problems."

Tom cruise – One of the most successful star in Hollywood. He was diagnosed with learning disability when he was 7 years old. Tom says," I trained myself to focus my attention. I became very visual and learned how to create mental images in order to comprehend what I read."
John Chambers – Former CEO of Cisco, he is dyslexic and had turned his dyslexia to his advantage.  He says," I give no speeches: I just do an outline in my head".

These few examples highlight on the 'giftedness' of the brain in non verbal thinking. And how these successful people had managed their dyslexia.

Some of  the other well-known personalities  - 
Agatha Crystie 
Albert Einstein
Leonardo di vinci
Walt Disney 
Steven Spielberg
Steve Jobs
Tommy Hilfiger
Jay Leno

Many more such examples of success stories, you can google and read more about them. I am sharing a link where you can find the consolidated information - https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/dyslexic-achievers/

        
Links on interview experts, news articles, websites I have referred -               


http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/success-stories/tom-cruise


https://chiefexecutive.net/quarter-ceos-dyslexic-says-ciscos-john-chambers/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post and taking time to post the comment. I shall respond to you comment asap.

PS: Do mention your name when you post comment so I know, unless you intend to keep it anonymous :). In some cases comment is appearing as anonymous...

Warm regards
Smrati Mehta